Shan-e-Punjab (S.E.P.) is a youth organization, which teaches cultural dances from various regions of India. Primarily focusing on Bhangra, and Giddha two traditional dances from Punjab, the first, a traditional male folk dance and the second, a traditional female folk dance. Bollywood is a form of dance incorporating southern Indian dance styles, made for the ever-popular cinema/movie Industry in India. We also teach cultural or national songs such as the national anthem of India, Jana Gana Mana, as well as other folk and modern songs of Punjab.
S.E.P. teaches ages 3 and above, boys and girls, from all cultures. S.E.P. is pleased to have students that have been with the school for up to 20 years. Some of the students move into advanced teams, volunteer teacher or other volunteer leadership positions. We have written hundreds of reference letters to further education, scholarships as well as career jobs. We try to meet the needs of our youth as well as our community.
Our goals are to provide:
1) A safe, educational, inclusive, friendly and fun environment to learn culture through dance, song and performing arts.
2) A sense of belonging, a place for youth to meet other youth and make long-lasting friendships, mentorship or coaching relationships.
3) An opportunity to build teamwork skills, while working towards a common goal in productive dance teams.
4) Many areas to volunteer to build skills through leadership opportunities.
5) Encouragement to apply learned skills for job or career opportunities, scholarships as well as high school graduation.
6) An environment for youth to lead youth, inspiring one another.
7) An avenue for students to be proud of their ethnicity and awareness in understanding their cultural identity.
8) A strong individual, who contributes to society in a positive and in an engaging way. Hence, sharing their culture and bridging cultural gaps; and in an ever growing society of peer pressure, for being accepted and respected for one's decisions, and for who one is, rather than what others want one to be.